I love couscous. It's delicious, easy, cheap and adaptable to many different flavours. This salad is all of those things and can easily be changed to suit personal taste. I first saw it on the Barefoot Contessa cooking show but have changed it slightly. The original recipe, which can be found on the Food network website, had parsley instead of coriander, raisins not craisins and carrot.
|CousCous absorbing the stock!|
|Fluffing couscous with a fork|
|Ready to serve|
Curried CousCous Salad
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (craisins)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3-4 spring onions thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- Cracked black pepper
- Place the couscous in a bowl.
- Prepare the stock and add the butter.
- Once the butter has melted pour the boiling stock over the couscous.
- Cover tightly and allow the couscous to soak for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. (Always use a fork when stirring couscous to prevent clumping.)
- Add the coriander, craisins, almonds, spring onions and red onion to the couscous. Combine with a fork.
- Whisk together the olive oil, yogurt, vinegar, curry and turmeric. Pour over the couscous, and mix well with a fork.
- Season to taste. I never add salt as I find the stock gives enough flavour but I do add a good amount of cracked black pepper.
- Serve at room temperature.