The main difference is that I like to cook the onion and bacon first with some garlic. Not only do I love the aroma of these three beautiful ingredients cooking but I think it adds something to the dish. And, everyone loves this slice, even my 18 month old niece so whilst the garlic enhances the flavours it is very subtle.
Please imagine there is some minced garlic in the picture as I forgot to include it! I use the minced garlic you buy in a jar for this recipe as I don't want chucks of garlic in the slice. Also, I had run out of vegetable oil so used extra virgin olive oil and it was fine. This is a very forgiving recipe!
|Sautéing the onion, bacon and garlic|
|Cheesy zucchini goodness|
|Adding the cooked bacon and onion|
|Ready to bake|
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 200gr bacon, finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup of self raising flour, sifted
- 5 eggs
- 375gr grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Butter or olive oil spray to grease the pan
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease a baking pan of approximately 30cm x 20cm in size. The Pyrex dish I use is slightly smaller than this.
- Sauté the chopped onion, bacon and garlic until soft and golden. Around 5 minutes should be long enough. Let it cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs, add the flour and mix until smooth.
- Add the zucchini, cheese, oil, onion and bacon mix to the flour and eggs. Combine well.
- Season with pepper and salt to taste. I never add salt as I don't believe it needs it.
- Pour into the greased pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool slightly in the pan, cut into squares and then remove carefully! Delicious served hot or cold.