Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Kale and Chorizo

I've wanted to cook with kale for a while but found it a bit daunting and, to be honest, wasn't really sure what to do with it!  Then one day I saw this baby at my local supermarket and I could not resist.



A quick search on the internet did not produce a recipe I was totally happy with so I just winged it and I must say I was quite happy with the result. 

Kale really is a "superfood" with lots of impressive health benefits.  This leafy green vegetable, a member of the cabbage/broccoli family, is full of vitamins - A, B folate, C and K.  It has cholesterol lowering benefits, cancer risk lowering benefits and is a powerful antioxidant with lots of anti-inflammatory benefits.  I can recommend reading about the many health benefits of this food - fascinating! 


I sauteed a thinly sliced red onion, thinly sliced chorizo sausage and some garlic in a little olive oil.  When the chorizo was nice and crispy I added about half the bag of kale (60grams) and put the lid on the pan.  After a few minutes the kale had wilted so I added some toasted almonds, cracked black pepper, gave it a good stir and it was ready. 



The end result was quite delicious and full of flavour - salty, crunchy and sweet! I had this as a meal but it would make a lovely side dish for chicken or fish or tossed through pasta.





Do you have a favourite way to cook kale?  I would love to hear any ideas/recipes for this wonderful vegetable!

8 comments:

  1. I could never find kale in Canberra, but I'm loving it here. Kale chips and massaged kale salads are my pick. I'd've eaten your dish for a full meal too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah. I've seen a few Kale chip recipes around so I might give that a go next :)

      Delete
  2. I've hardly ever seen kale (boooo) but I'm dying to try making kale chips. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know me too! Kale chips are definitely in my weekend plans :)

      Delete
  3. Hannah bought me dehydrated kale chips marinated with sun-dried tomatoes and curry.. it was so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never cooked with kale but this sound delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    x
    Michelle
    www.michellesstylefile.com
    GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Piecey Num Nums :)